Thursday, July 25, 2013

Birth control, post baby..and IUD horror story!

Before I write a post about Layla and I's breastfeeding journey, I am going to write about birth control for the breastfeeding woman. So if you are a man, or anyone I am related to and/or squeamish about birth control/sex, etc. Run now.. I repeat, run now! I personally was terrified of getting pregnant again after giving birth to Layla. I hate condoms. You have no idea. Its like having sex with a balloon over a penis. It makes it feel almost like the penis has no head. lmao. Ok. Anyway, so for a breastfeeding woman, your options at your postpartum appointment aren't that vast (unlike if you were bottle feeding, you could go back to a regular, hormonal combination pill). You pretty much can choose the norplant implant, mini pill, or IUD. The choice is yours. I was terrified of getting pregnant again, so I checked into IUD's, and was excited to see that my insurance covered insertion and cost 100%. Initally, I was going to go with the paraguard IUD, which is the copper IUD that has no hormones. It does tend to make you bleed heavy, but figured 10 years worth of birth control? Had to be worth it! Until Doctor Mckinnie put the kaposh on that. She said with my past medical history of severely painful, double you over cramp filled, heavy periods that the paraguard was a NO for me. She recommended the Mirena IUD...which offered short, light periods, to no periods after the first year, and lasted 5 years and had a less than 1% chance of failure rate. AWESOME! Sign me up! I also looked into the mini pill, but that is not effective if you don't take it at the exact same time every day. No thanks, I'd be pregnant again in a month. I was not ok with any shots, or implants into my arm that will leave scars eventually. I took the Mirena plunge at 6 weeks, 1 day postpartum. I was having irregular bleeding postpartum anyway, I'd stop for a day, and then flood for days during thanksgiving vacation. I got Mirena inserted, and bled for another 6 weeks. Great. I have a blood phobia, I hate blood from anyone and anything.. I don't care if its mine or not. My body still is squeamish about it. So bleeding for 12 weeks was torture. I stopped bleeding in time for my 6 week mirena insertion appointment. However, I had a yeast infection at that time. GREAT. So, Doctor Mckinnie gave me diflucan and said that should take care of it. She said spotting was common in the first 3 months of mirena too, so if I started spotting again, it should go away by the 3rd month. Well, 2 days after that appointment, I started bleeding again..for 2 months, stopped for a day, then got another yeast infection. Called in, got more pills, and then an internal cream. This cycle of bleeding, yeast infection, stop, bleed, spot, bleed, infection continued for months. I told myself after the 3 month mark, to give it to 6 months. At the six month mark of the Mirena insertion, I was still bleeding and spotting and constantly battling a yeast infection. I follow the rules of "no tight clothes, cotton underwear, probiotics, ...." blah blah blah crap to prevent them, but nothing worked. Finally, about 2 weeks ago, I had enough. I had this thing for 7 and a half months and had over 10 yeast infections and was constantly bleeding and spotting. I was sick of it. I have never had so many issues before and figured that the only things different with me were A. I had a baby...9 months ago! and b. the Mirena. I figured that having a baby couldn't be causing this, and the only other thing I was doing differently was the Mirena. I called my new insurance and asked if it was covered for removal, and it was, so I quickly made an appointment for removal. Upon calling my doctors office, they said I definitely needed it out and needed it out now! Fast forward to July 19, 2013. I went for my appointment, and removal was quick and easy and over with before I realized it. NO problem. I did feel it collapse as it was coming out but that was it. I had some cramping afterwords but nothing that couldn't stop me, I didn't have any bleeding either, I did have some spotting sunday but that was nothing compared to what I've been dealing with.. My doctor said I didn't have any funny yeasty looking discharge, and wasn't too irritated looking, but she did do a wet prep swab and came back and said "yep, you're right, yeast!" She prescribed me 6 pills of diflucan, one to be taken that day and then repeat one in 3 days. during those first three days, I was also to use a teraconzole cream internally for 3 days as well. then I would take another diflucan pill once a week for a month. She said that should clear it all up and I should be fine. I took my first diflucan pill Friday, as well as did all 3 evenings of teraconzole, and then sunday took my 3rd diflucan. Tuesday I was itching all over again, and burning as well. I called Wednesday morning and asked if I should give it a few more days or if I should be feeling better. They told me that I should be ok in a few days but if not, to call back and I'd have to go back in and get a culture to identify what is going on and whats causing this trouble. I woke up this morning worse today than I was yesterday. I called them at 8:30 this morning as soon as they opened. The nurse was surprised that I was worse today, but was concerned as well, so she offered me an appointment for about a hour and a half from then, but I couldn't make it. (Its hard to bring Layla anywhere without having made preparation for someone else to come help me out). So she called doctor mckinnie to see if they could do something earlier tomorrow morning, they were able to schedule me an 8:15 appointment, right before doctor has to go into surgery . The nurse said that now Pelvic inflammatory disease is a concern, she said that it could definitely affect fertility if its not caught early enough and she doesn't want to take that chance. I wanted to cry. I know I don't want anymore children, but I know chris does. Even though I don't, I don't want the possibility taken from me either. ALL of these problems because I thought a fucking IUD would be a great choice for birth control. I was freaking crazy! I thought it was my best option and perhaps it was. However, we just didn't get along. I guarantee you, if I have PID or any other complication, I am going to jump on board with the Mirena Lawsuit. I go tomorrow for my culture.. I'll update then.

No comments:

Post a Comment